Who may apply for our Graduate Scholarships
We welcome applications from Year 13 students who attend one of these South Auckland secondary schools and are enrolling in full-time tertiary study in 2017. This tertiary study can be with a university, polytechnic, industry training organisation or wānanga.
||Ngā Tapuwae College
|Aorere College||Otahuhu College
|De la Salle College
||Papatoetoe High School
|James Cook High School
||Sir Edmund Hillary Collegiate
|Kia Aroha College
||Southern Cross College
|Manurewa High School
||Zayed College for Girls
|McAuley High School
What our eight Graduate Scholarships cover
You will receive:
- three months’ full-time employment as a Passenger Experience Assistant (PEA) in our international and domestic terminals over the busy summer period;
- a laptop (valued at around $1,000);
- a grant of $2,000 towards your first year tertiary tuition fees (a full-time first year course with a registered provider e.g. university, polytechnic, industry training organisation or wānanga);
- the opportunity to be considered for the same employment over the remaining years of your tertiary study (and possibly part-time work throughout the year too).
About the Passenger Experience Assistant role
This is a customer service role. Our Passenger Experience Assistants provide assistance and information to help passengers and visitors move through our terminals smoothly.
What we are looking for in our Graduate Scholarship winners
- be a full-time year 13 student at one of the schools listed above;
- have gained NCEA level 2 and university entrance English and maths;
- be interested in a career at the airport or in one of these related fields: travel, tourism, logistics, transport;
- be intending to study full-time at tertiary level in 2017 and be eligible to start that study if you complete year 13 successfully. Your study can be with a university, polytechnic, industry training organisation or wānanga;
- have good people skills and be keen to learn;
- be punctual and reliable and able to prioritise work commitments.
We would welcome a second language if you have one, but this is not essential.
Your time commitment
You must be able to:
- attend a selection centre at the airport. This is likely to take place on Sunday 9 October 2016;
- attend paid training at the airport for the week of either 21 November or 28 November 2016 (Monday to Friday);
- travel to, and work full-time on shift at, the airport between Monday 5 December 2016 and Sunday 26 February 2017.
The selection centre will involve interviews and activities that will help us understand how well you are suited to working as a Passenger Experience Assistant.
Information we need you to provide to support your application
- A brief CV
- A brief letter from your school dean or a school principal (principal, deputy, associate or assistant) confirming that you:
have attended 90% of your classes in the last 18 months;
are intending to enrol for full-time tertiary study in 2017 at a recognised tertiary provider (e.g. university, polytechnic, industry training organisation or wānanga) and will be eligible for this study if you complete year 13 successfully.
- Photo ID (a passport OR a driver’s licence OR a birth certificate plus passport photo witnessed by a Justice of the Peace)
How we will choose our Graduate Scholarship winners
Auckland Airport staff will choose our Graduate Scholarship winners based on:
- what you tell us in your written application;
- how you perform in the interviews and activities involved in the one-day selection centre.
Our decision will be final. We will not enter into any correspondence or discussion.
If you gain a Graduate Scholarship
We will invite you to an event in early November to celebrate your success and welcome you to the Auckland Airport team.
Other opportunities to work at the airport
If you are unsuccessful in gaining a Graduate Scholarship but have met the standards needed to perform well in a Passenger Experience Assistant role, you may still gain a position with us. We will put your name forward for these other roles. You do not need to do anything more.
Closing date for applications
Applications have now closed as of 5pm Friday 19 August. We will notify successful applicants in the week of 19 September.